When a loading door is opened, it always should be cracked slightly to allow oxygen to enter and burn any combustion gases that are present before fully opening. Failure to do this could result in sudden ignition of the unburned gases when the door is opened.
The ash door should never be left open and unattended, as this will result in over-firing. Serious damage can occur from over-firing.
Coal stoves should always be installed into a CLASS A chimney. REMEMBER! COAL, LIKE ALL FOSSIL FUELS, CONTAINS GASES THAT ARE TOXIC. ALWAYS KEEP A CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTOR IN THE HOUSE.
For more information see:
- Part 1: Starting an Anthracite Coal Fire
- Part 2: Loading the Stove & Increasing Heat
- Part 3: Shaking, Controlling Draft & Ash Management
- Part 4: Safety
- Part 5: Troubleshooting
This article adapted in part from an article entitled “Operation of Hand-Fired Anthracite Stoves” provided by Hitzer Inc. drawing from their decades of experience burning coal and building coal stoves.